3 Child Support Questions

Going through a divorce and have questions about child support in Oklahoma? Check out these 3 child support questions, then call our lawyers to get started.

1) How is child support determined in Oklahoma?

3 Child Support QuestionsIf you’re going through a divorce process or even a paternity action, if you’re the noncustodial parent of a minor child, you may be required to pay child support. In that case, the question is about how the state of Oklahoma determines what your child support amount is. It’s determined in a monthly amount based on your monthly adjusted gross income and the other parent’s monthly adjusted gross income. There are some factors included with how many overnight periods you have the minor child for, your visitation, and some other miscellaneous factors, including whether there are child care costs, or health insurance for the minor child’s coverage being provided by you or the other parent. In doing so, the numbers are all put into a calculator, which is considered the Oklahoma Child Support Guidelines Calculator. In doing so, the formula comes out with a final number of what you will be obligated to pay per month for your child’s maintenance. If you have any questions about that, you need to contact an experienced divorce attorney to assess what factors will be considered in calculating your adjusted gross income.

2) How can I get my child’s other parent to pay child support?

If you’re faced with a situation where you have custody of you and your spouse’s minor child and your spouse is court-ordered to pay child support, but is failing to do so, the question becomes what can you do to get him or her to pay? In that case, you need to contact an experienced divorce attorney who can guide you through the process, which would involve filing an application for contempt, alleging that your spouse is failing to abide by the court order by not paying the child support. In doing so, the case will either be resolved by the spouse purging themselves by maintaining the payment in full that is back-due, or you’ll have to go to trial and the judge will then render a decision. If found guilty, the spouse can potentially even serve time in jail for noncompliance. You need to, again, contact an experienced divorce attorney who can guide you through the process.

3) Can I waive the right to child support in Oklahoma?

If you’re going through a divorce process involving minor children and have a child support obligation, the question sometimes becomes, can I waive my child support obligation, whether I’m the payor or the payee? It kind of depends.There needs to be a finding by the court that it serves the best interest of the minor children, given the financial resources of both parents, and the financial needs of the minor children. You need to contact an experienced divorce attorney to assess your situation.

If your marriage is dissolving and you have children, you may be wondering about child support. After reading these 3 child support questions, contact a Stillwater child support attorney at Murray Law Firm today for a free confidential consultation and case evaluation. Let our experience work for you.

Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel