If you were hit by a vehicle while you were out walking and suffered serious injuries, you need the help of our Stillwater pedestrian accident lawyer to fight the insurance companies and obtain you the full compensation available. Here are the common causes of pedestrian accidents in Oklahoma.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents | Reasons
Common reasons for pedestrian accidents include:
- Cell Phone use. This is either when the driver illegally using their cellphone to search the web, send a text, or watch a video, or if it is the pedestrian who did not look up from their phone to check for traffic before crossing the street.
- Sometimes a driver may have seen you too late before they run into you because they were going too fast and did not have time to put their brakes on. That accident would not be the fault of the pedestrian if they took all necessary precautions before crossing.
- Running stop lights/ stop signs. When a driver fails to yield, stop, or wait for a green light, they may cause a pedestrian accident.
- Failing to use a turn signal. If a driver is going to turn, but does not use their signal, you may have looked at that car coming down the road and thought it safe to cross the street because they were going to be going straight, but they end up hitting you.
- Disregarding weather conditions. If it is a rainy day, and the driver is not adjusting their speed for the weather, they may hydroplane when they slam on their brakes and hit you because they were being negligent.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents | Compensation
As you may have already gathered, these accidents are entirely avoidable. The only reason they happen is because someone was acting negligently. Our job as personal injury attorneys is to find out who is liable and how much of the accident they are liable for. The insurance adjuster’s job is to determine that you are entirely at fault and should not receive compensation for this accident.
Oklahoma is a “shared fault” state, meaning that the insurance adjuster has to find you 50% or more at fault in order to keep you from receiving compensation. We will fight them on that. We want to make sure they do not take advantage of you.
What you should also know about shared fault is that you can receive compensation if you’re at fault, it just needs to be less than 50%. The only downside of being found at fault from 1% – 49% is that you will have your award reduced by the percent you were found at fault for. Let’s say you were found to be 10% at fault. If you are awarded $100,000, you will have that reduced to $90,000. That is why it is so very important that you have a Stillwater pedestrian accident lawyer.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents | Contact Our Office
If you know you need an experienced Stillwater pedestrian accident lawyer, please call our office today for a free consultation. We want to protect you from the tactics the insurance companies use and we will fight tirelessly to get you the compensation you rightfully deserve.
Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel