Can a Child Choose?

Does your son or daughter want to change residences? Can a child choose where they live? Read this article as our Stillwater child custody lawyer explains. Read Our FREE Divorce Guide


Can a child choose who they want to live with?


If you’re going through a divorce process and you believe that your child wants to live with you, the question becomes, do you believe that the child can voice that opinion? Likewise, if they want to stay with your spouse, can the child voice that opinion?Can a Child Choose? This depends. In Oklahoma, the age of preference that a child can voice their opinion which parent they want to reside with is the age of 12. At that point, the court will listen to the child’s preference, does not have to follow it, but Oklahoma law is pretty clear that it is a strong presumption that the child’s preference may be followed.

If your marriage is dissolving and you have children, you may be wondering “can a child choose their residency?” Contact a Stillwater child custody lawyer at Murray Law Firm today for a free confidential consultation and case evaluation. Let our experience work for you. Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel